The ARUA CoE in Notions of Identity comprises six universities including the following:
Makerere University will be the hub and host of the CoE. Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Africa. It is a research intensive university, which upholds inter and multi-disciplinarity, with cross cutting themes such as good governance, human rights, gender, and equity.
Makerere University has a long history interrogating identities, with a wealth of research and researchers working on identities and a robust institutional framework to handle research of a collaborative and multi-country nature.
The Nodal Universities for this CoE include the following:
- University of Ghana, Ghana (Institute of African Studies)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria (Institute of Cultural Studies)
- Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia (Institute for Ethiopian Studies)
- University of Rwanda, Rwanda (Centre for Gender and Cultural Studies)
- University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa (Wits Institute of Social Research)